Friday, June 6, 2014

5 MORE Must-See Spots in Incheon, Korea

This blog entry was originally published on the Aclipse Blog, which is produced by current Chungdahm Learning teachers in Korea! The blog features entries on current events around Korea, advice for incoming teachers, and the best spots for sightseeing, shopping, and eating. The original entry can be viewed here

Nearly a year ago, I covered the top 5 things to do in Incheon: the world famous Incheon International Airport, Muuido/Wolmido/other surrounding islands, Chinatown/Jayu Park, Bupyeong Underground Shopping Center, and Soraepogu Fish Market. Now, after trying my hardest to do more exploring in the time since that post, I've come up with 5 more things worth checking out when you come visit Incheon. 

incheon central park songdo


1. Songdo

incheon songdo korea

Songdo is Incheon's new up-and-coming area for business. My CDI branch recently relocated to Songdo and I've really been enjoying exploring the area. There's good shopping and tons of great restaurants, so I definitely recommend wandering through this area. Keep an eye out for blog entries about Songdo coming soon!

2. Songdo's Central Park

incheon songdo central park

I recently spend an early evening wandering around Songdo's Central Park and I was so taken with its landscaping and design that it gets a mention of its own. I am intensely jealous of the families living within walking distance of this park because I would probably go there daily if I could. While exploring Songdo, definitely make time to walk along the canal that runs through the park, taking time to rent a little peddle boat or to relax in one of the little gazebos.

More info can be found here via Trazy.

3. Eulwangri Beach


I love living near the ocean, but Incheon is unfortunately mostly shipyards. You can stroll along the shoreline in some areas, but as far as lounging on a beach goes, this isn't the place. However, beaches are still nearby, which I'm quite excited to explore as the temperatures climb in the coming months. On Yeongjong Island, aka the island where Incheon International Airport is located, is a pretty, white sand beach: Eulwangri.

Check this out for more details.

4. Incheon Grand Park


The beautiful spring weather has me somewhat fixated on spending time outdoors right now, hence another mention of a park. Incheon Grand Park is still on my to-do list, but I'm really looking forward to checking it out. The park boasts 727 acres of land that includes a botanical garden, a zoo, hiking, and bike rental -- definitely sounds like a great place to spend a day soaking up the sun.

5. Sinpo Market

incheon market food street food sinpo

I spent an afternoon in Sinpo Market last summer during my great K-pop adventure and really enjoyed it. Largely, the draw is the food, and much like other traditional markets (such as Gwangjang in Seoul), you should enter Sinpo with an appetite. When I visited, I was unaware of the market's specialty food: dakgangjeong, which is fried chicken in a sweet and spicy sauce. Since I'm a sucker for Korean street and market foods, I'm definitely planning to make a trip back just to try that chicken.

More info here!

Honorable Mention: The 17th Asian Games


Since this is a 2014-only event, it's getting placed as an honorable mention. From the 19th of September to the 4th of October, Incheon is hosting the 17th Asian Games and it sounds like it's going to be quite the event. I've always been interested in attending a big sports event like this, so I'm looking forward to checking it out this fall.


Have you been to any of these spots in Incheon? Do you know of anything else to do in Incheon that I've completely failed to mention? Leave a comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment